for W3c validation
Computational Biologist – Location: McLean, VA
Perthera, Inc., based in McLean, Virginia, USA, is a life science AI company creating precision medicine technology to capture the molecular and demographic factors fueling cancers and matching them to the most effective treatments for specific patients.
The purpose of the Computational Biologist position is to develop data-driven algorithms, visualizations, and tools in support of delivering Perthera Precision Medicine™ and the Perthera Report™ to patients with cancer across the world. This position works closely with Perthera doctors, staff, leadership, and collaborators who have diverse expertise in implementing personalized medicine advances and supporting the Company’s core mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Develop scalable methods that integrate genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and phosphoproteomic data with medical and treatment histories to generate actionable insights in precision oncology
- Analyze complex datasets and present concise summaries for specific audiences that may include clinicians, hospitals, advocacy organizations, testing laboratories, industry partners, and/or academic collaborators
- Work closely with the development team to document and improve data management infrastructure and tools
- Build and implement new data visualization techniques that streamline clinical decision support in oncology
- Monitor and improve the structured integrity of clinical information, treatment history, and molecular results
- Interact with patient coordinators, tissue coordinators, the computational biology team, the technology team, and medical experts on Perthera’s Every-Patient Real-Time Tumor Board™
- Maintain standard operating procedures for implementing new algorithms and data analysis pipelines
- Integrate and standardize clinical and molecular data from public repositories into in-house analysis workflows
- Develop novel algorithms for Perthera’s Therapeutic Intelligence Engine™ and Perthera AI™ technologies
- Leverage natural language processing tools and workflows for extracting relevant details from scientific literature and other unstructured sources of information
- Draft, edit, and present scientific findings as a co-author on Company manuscripts, abstracts, and grants
- Travel occasionally for scientific conferences or collaborator events (total expected travel time is < 10%)
The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of cancer biology, molecular profiling, and oncology guidelines
- Fluency in one or more high level programming languages is required (R/tidyverse skills are preferred)
- A solid understanding of biological pathways and the hallmarks of cancer is essential
- Expertise in computational biology and data science techniques, including network-based pathway analysis, advanced biostatistics methods, and/or machine learning tools for prediction/regression/classification
- Familiarity with relational databases (MySQL) and cloud computing (AWS) is a plus
- Knowledge of clinical decision support tools used in medical oncology is highly desirable
The ideal candidate will be: (1) an efficient communicator of complex concepts and ideas to a dynamic range of audiences, (2) passionate about improving clinical outcomes for patients with advanced cancers, (3) comfortable adapting to the technologies, and (4) eager to tackle challenging problems with innovative solutions in the precision medicine industry.
- A Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, or other scientific/healthcare-focused fields with translational research experience in oncology (we encourage graduating students to apply)
- Strong publication record of innovative cancer-focused scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Background in data curation/management/harmonization/standardization/analysis
- Experience working collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment with researchers and clinicians
- Ability to work independently and diligently in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English
Applicants should send a cover letter along with a resume/CV and most recent college transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be asked to provide 2 professional or academic references.